ESNZ Eventing Board Member – Elected Rider Representative – three-year term until July 2025
The ESNZ Eventing Board is seeking nominations for the Elected Board Member – Rider Representative, to join their Board for a three-year term. Elections will be conducted confidentially online. Any ESNZ member who has competed in ESNZ Eventing in the last 12 months is eligible to vote and invitations on voting will be emailed directly to them.
This is an exciting opportunity to take up this newly defined role as a full Board member with responsibility as the Riders’ Representative.
The ESNZ Eventing discipline board is responsible to the ESNZ National Board for the governance of the Eventing in New Zealand, including its finances sustainability, and the organisation, promotion and growth of the sport. The board consists of; three elected members, two appointed members, one Rider Representative member and one Organising Committee Representative member.
The current vacancy has arisen due to rotation, and in alignment with the Board’s updated by-laws combines the former two 0.5 Rider Representative positions (North and South Island) into one full Board position with national responsibility. One of the two incumbent Board members has advised they will be standing for this position; however, they encourage anyone with governance and/or leadership aspirations to stand for election. The job description can be found here
The specific Rider Representative Board member responsibilities are:
- Enable Riders’ perspective to be effectively represented in all Board endeavours.
- Provide a single point of contact for Riders to provide feedback, raise issues and present ideas to the ESNZ Eventing Board.
- Be an effective communication channel for Riders so that they are well informed of ESNZ Eventing activities, plans and progress.
- Form, lead and maintain a rider representative network, made up of both north and south riders, to support and facilitate the Rider Representative responsibilities
In general, the Board agenda during this term is likely to focus on:
- Formation of sport’s strategic focus in alignment with ESNZ new statement of strategic intent, and the development of annual governance work plans
- Ensuring the sport is sustainably resourced – physical, financial and personnel
- Ensure a robust competitive environment at all levels for New Zealand riders
- Support the sport transition to the new ESNZ constitution (once finalised)
All Board members need to: demonstrate governance knowledge and leadership, apply a future-focused mindset, understand confidentiality, contribute to highly functional board dynamics and be able to work collaboratively within a high trust environment.
Ideally you will bring your in-depth understanding and experience as an Event Rider, along with your networks and skills that will add value to the Board and governance leadership of the sport.
Appointment & tenure
The term is for three years from the July AGM, with the option to stand for further term/s.
An estimated commitment of two days per month for preparation and attendance at six in person Board meetings per year and alternating monthly evening online meetings, and leadership or participation in portfolio, working group or subcommittee activities.
Voluntary – all reasonable meeting related expenses are covered by ESNZ Eventing.
Any ESNZ member may forward a nomination for themselves or another person to the Eventing Sport Manager. It must be in writing on the prescribed nomination form below, together with a completed Statement of Motivation form and a supporting CV of the Candidate.
The closing date for nominations is 5pm 7 May 2022.
Nominations, Statement of Motivation forms and CVs are to be forwarded to:
Hayley Pickmere, Eventing Sport Manager
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 027 379 3643
For queries re the nomination process please contact the Sport Manager.
For further information on the role please contact:
Margaret Evens, Eventing Chair
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 027 4477 358