ESNZ is searching for a new Board member with legal experience, networks and skills that will add value to the Board and governance leadership. This role would appeal to individuals who have an affinity with horses and are living in NZ. Here is the full description:
Appointed Board Member
Equestrian Sports New Zealand seeks to attract a Board member with experience, networks and skills that will add value to the Board and governance leadership of the organisation. The role is open to permanent residents living within New Zealand.
Purpose and context
Equestrian Sports New Zealand (ESNZ) is the national body that exists for the equestrian community to participate in organised, safe and inspiring competitive and recreational equestrian sport experiences.
Our vision is, ‘To enrich lives of humans and horses through equestrian pursuits’.
ESNZ delivers competitions and administration in conjunction with its four discipline bodies (Eventing, Jumping and Show Hunter, Dressage, Endurance and CTR) as well as Para Equestrian. The organisation’s core values include integrity, excellence, inclusion and wellbeing of our people and horses. Fit for purpose policies including Health and Safety, and Drug and Alcohol, are in place for the benefit of all members. ESNZ has around 20 staff and a Wellington based head office.
In accordance with the Constitution (2023) the ESNZ Board’s governance responsibilities include: ensuring ESNZ complies with all legal and constitutional requirements; setting strategic direction and priorities; setting high-level policies and management performance expectations; monitoring and evaluating organisational performance and overseeing the management of risk.
The Board consists of the Chair of each of the four Disciplines (or their nominee), one representative for the two National Equestrian Centres and four Appointed Board Members. Additional board members may be co-opted from time to time.
This role would appeal to individuals who have an affinity with horses and a desire to be associated with an organisation with a worldwide reputation. You would be keen to be a positive influence on creating and supporting pathways for competitive and recreational riders wanting a long future in equestrian pursuits.
For more information on the organisation please visit our website.
The Board Member will ideally have the following attributes and abilities:
- To appreciate and support the organisation’s Vision, Mission and Objects and be committed to a better future for equestrian sports in New Zealand;
- To understand the position of the organisation in its environments and its relationship to key stakeholders, including Members, Officials, Organising Committees, Volunteers, and other equestrian entities;
- To ensure that strategies are adopted and processes implemented that will deliver desired outcomes for the organisation and equestrian sports in general;
- To provide leadership in the exploration of strategic issues and to be able to understand the implications and impact of issues from a broader perspective.
It is important to ESNZ that there is gender balance on the Board and we currently have a majority of self-identified women. The preferred applicants will also possess some of the following:
- General legal expertise
- Governance experience
- Strong business, financial acumen, and experience.
- Proven ability at a strategic level
- Critical thinking.
- Ability to constructively challenge and contribute to robust boardroom conversations.
- A commitment to furthering the interests of ESNZ and its members.
- Alignment with the organisation’s values.
- An inclusive approach towards cultural and gender diversity.
- An understanding of the Treaty of Waitangi/Te Tiriti o Waitangi as the nation’s founding document.
Time commitment and term
Eight board meetings are held each year, usually during business hours. Some of these meetings are conducted online while the others are predominantly held in Wellington. Other time commitment may include sub-committee meetings and email dialogue between meetings.
The role will commence immediately for a term of three years. Board members are eligible to be appointed for further terms.
The role is unpaid and expenses, including travel, will be reimbursed.
For further information on the role please contact:
Lynda Clark, Board Chair at [email protected] or mobile +64 27 432 3286.
To express interest in the role please email cover letter and Governance CV to [email protected].
The closing date for applications is 8th November 2023 at 5.00pm.