Live Updates from the NZ Team Touring Australia
Keep up to date with the NZ Showjumping Team on their month long campaign in Australia.
Team NZ Blog and updates Blog
High praise for Lily Tootill from the EquiFest Team
The EquiFest team They ev high praise for Team NZ rider Lily Tootill and her chestnut gelding Ulysses NZPH. They even suggest a new test match tradition has been set at their show!
Here's what they had to say:
She’s a Mitavite sponsored rider, she’s a NZ superstar rider and at the age of just 20, there is much ahead for Lily Tootill and her magnificent boy, Ulysses NZPH.
We’ve loved having you both here with the NZ Team, we truly believe a new Test Match Tradition has begun and how exciting is that in prospect in the years ahead.
With a second placing in the Equine International Air Freight Grand Prix and a third placing in the Mitavite Sydney Open it has been a successful campaign and we look forward to seeing you both again soon here ‘over the ditch’. Kim Dunda Latter
Photo: Stephen Mowbray Photography
Update from the NZ Team, 3rd April
This morning we are packing up the two trucks, gear and horses and heading to Jackson and Kate's new property close to Armidale where the team are based until Elysian Fields.
It will be another big day!
Team and Individual Results from EquiFest
So far Team NZ have competed in one team’s event at EquiFest and several individual competitions with excellent results. Here’s how the team went:
- They were narrowly beaten by the Aussie’s in the second round of the team’s event after being head to head from round one, However, Lily was 3rd and Sam Morrison were 4th equal individually
- Katie Laurie and Springfield won the 1.30m Open
- Lily Tootill was 2nd in the Grand Prix event
- Katie Laurie was 5th on Springfield and 6th with On the Point Sandy in the 1.35 championship
- Katie Laurie was 2nd on Eyecatcher in the Future Stakes 1.30m
- Lily Tootill was 3rd in the Sydney Open 1.40-1.60m event
Update from Equifest - Saturday 1st-2nd April from Jeff McVean - Team Coach and Chef d'Equipe
Yesterday Katie kept the Kiwi flag flying high getting 5th and 7th in the Mini Prix on Springfield and On the Point Sandy respectively.
Katie also snapped up an impressive second place with Eyecatcher in a futurity class this morning.
This afternoon all the team horses except for Kapattack are starting in the Grand Prix of Sydney.
Weather is now good and the ground is steadily drying out but it's still deep in places in the Premier ring.
Update from Equifest - Friday 31st March from Jeff McVean - Team Coach and Chef d'Equipe
Great start to the day today at Equifest. The sun is shining and Katie Laurie has just won the 1.35m on Springfield. The teams event starts in around two hours.
Update on Tash Brooks Kapattack - he has been seen by a vet this morning and we have blood results back that confirm he is suffering from travel sickness. Because of this he will not start again at this show.
Update from Equifest - 30th and 31st March from Jeff McVean - Team Coach and Chef d'Equipe
It was a very wet day in Sydney causing the ground to become quite bad. But despite the bad condition, the team's horses jumped well yesterday.
Here's how the team went at a glance
- A great start with Lily Tootill and Ulysses NZPH placing 3rd in the Young Rider Qualifyer
- Katie Laurie on On the Point Eve and Casebrooke Lomond each had 1 time fault in the 1.30 class
- Sam Morrison jumped well on Biarritz but unfortunately had the last fence down in 1.40
- Tash Brook's horse Kapattack is not 100% so they will not be will not be starting in the team test against Australia (Friday 31st). She will be replaced with reserve Bridget Hansen on Toulon NZPH.
- The plan is to send the best in this test and hope to get Kapattack happy and jumping well on better ground.
For more updates, visit the team's dedicated Facebook page here
Lily Tootill and Ulysses NZPH
- 30 March – 2nd April EquiFest, Hawkesbury Showground
- Sydney 21 – 30th April Elysian Fields (2 x shows back to back), Queensland
- Final show in Sydney - TBC.
NZ SENIOR JUMPING TEAM
- Katie Laurie - Casebrooke Lomond; and On The Point Eve
- Lily Tootill - Ulyssess NZPH
- Natasha Brooks - Kapattack
- Samantha Morrison - Biarritz
- First Reserve: Mathew Dickey - Quango
- Second Reserve : Bridget Hansen - Toulon NZPH
- Chef d’Equipe and Trainer: Jeff McVean
The NZ Team is supported by Mitvavite and Waikato Vet services