Live Updates from the NZ Team Touring Australia
Keep up to date with the NZ Showjumping Team on their month long campaign in Australia.
Team NZ updates and Blog
Elysian Fields concluded the Team's tour of Australia. The team and horses will have a well deserved break before they fly home on Weds 3rd May.
Elysian Fields Results
AQUIS GRAND PRIX EVENT - SHOW 2
26th - 30th April 2017
Aquis Gold Cup - Sunday 30th April
A note from Team Chef d'Equipe Jeff McVean
Fantastic result for the two team horses jumping. Lily Tootill and Ulysses NZPH finished 4th in the Gold Tour Final with an 8 fault total over two testing rounds.
It was a tough track and huge credit to Sam Morrison and Lily for making top 20 and getting the opportunity to ride in the major class of the show.
Sam finished with 4 rails and a circle plus time faults but finished round and certainly not worst performance of class.
Lily Tootill and Ulyssess NZPH celebrating after their 4th placing in the prestigious Gold Cup event
Silver Tour Final - Sunday 30th April
Katie Laurie qualified two horses for the Aquis Silver Tour final. Here are her results:
- 8th - Katie Laurie and On the Point Sandy
- 9th - Katie Laurie and Springfield
Our thoughts are with Katie and her family after the loss of her beloved horse Luego GNZ. Unfortunately they lost him on the operating table at Elysian Fields.
Team Competition - Saturday 29th April
The NZ Team selected for the Gold Tour event were:
- Lily Tootill - Ulysses NZPH
- Sam Morrison - Biarritz
- Katie Laurie - Casebrook Lomond
- Reserve: Birdie Hansen - Toulon NZPH
Team NZ finished overall in the Aquis Gold Tour competition, the class was two rounds held over a challenging course and won by Australia. The Kiwis certainly held their own among a tough field of experienced riders.
- 1st - Team Australia
- 2nd - Team Aquis
- 3rd - Team Queensland
- 4th - Team New South Wales
- 5th - Team NZ
What's more, NZ rider's Bridget Hansen and Lily Tootill also placed as individuals in the competition. A great result for these two young rising stars in the toughest class of the show.
Individual Placings in the Second Qualifier of the Aquis Gold Tour
- 4th - Bridget Hansen on Toulon NZPH
- 6th - Lily Tootill on Ulyssess NZPH
Bridget 'Birdy' Hansen on Toulon NZPH and Lily Tootill on Ulysses NZPH
AQUIS GRAND PRIX EVENT - SHOW 1
21st - 23rd April 2017
Aquis Horse Grand Prix event
Lily Tootill, Sam Morrison and Katie Laurie all started. Tash Brooks and Kapattack did not start, but did start in a Mini Prix earlier that day.
- Lily Tootill and Ulysses NZPH 2nd place - clear first round, 4 faults second round
- Sam Morrison and Biarritz - 6th place - clear first round, 6 faults second round
- Katie Laurie and On the Point Sandy 12 faults
- Katie Laurie and Casebrook Lomond 4 faults
- Katie Laurie and Springfield 4 faults and Ulysses NZPH to go.
Lily Tootill on the podium after coming in 2nd placing in the Aquis Horse Grand Prix event.
OTHER RESULTS FROM ELYSIAN FIELDS FIRST SHOW
- Future Stars - Katie Laurie - Eye Catcher 5th place
- Horse 1.40m - Katie Laurie - Springfield - 7th place
- Horse 1.25m- Katie Laurie - Luego GNZ - 2nd place
- Horse 1.25m- Katie Laurie - Eyecatcher - 4th place
A relatively quiet day at Elysian Fields today with only two team horses starting. On the Point Eve and Kapattack had schooling rounds in the 1.40 and are improving.
Springfield was 7th in the class after posting the fastest jump off time and taking the last fence. Katie's Eyecatcher had a rail in the Futurity this morning and Luego GNZ had a couple of rails in the 1.30 speed.
Tomorrow we have horses starting in the Mini Prix and Grand Prix.
1.35 A2 at Equifest - Sam Morrison and Biarritz went clear as did Katie Laurie on Casebrook Lomond. Stunning clear round for Ulysses NZPH too, but On the Point Eve retired due to poor light. A great start to the competition for team NZ.
Chef d'Equipe's Report - EquiFest and Beyond
The NZ Team had a great show at Equifest in Sydney. Unfortunately, Natasha Brookes horse Kapattack and Katie Laurie's horse On The Point Eve both got a bout of travel sickness.
After the show at Equifest in Sydney the NZ Showjumping Team all travelled to Jackson and Katie Lauries farm in Armidale NSW. Lily Tootill's horse Ulysses NZPH was found to have a little travel sickness from the trip but was quickly treated by a vet.
Jeff McVean arrived at Katie's place on 16th April where they jumped all the horses. They went extremely well. The team then travelled to Elysian Fields yesterday with two trucks and nine horses a very good run 8hrs all horses have travelled very well and feeling and looking good today.
High praise for Lily Tootill from the EquiFest Team
The EquiFest team They ev high praise for Team NZ rider Lily Tootill and her chestnut gelding Ulysses NZPH. They even suggest a new test match tradition has been set at their show!
Here's what they had to say:
She’s a Mitavite sponsored rider, she’s a NZ superstar rider and at the age of just 20, there is much ahead for Lily Tootill and her magnificent boy, Ulysses NZPH.
We’ve loved having you both here with the NZ Team, we truly believe a new Test Match Tradition has begun and how exciting is that in prospect in the years ahead.
With a second placing in the Equine International Air Freight Grand Prix and a third placing in the Mitavite Sydney Open it has been a successful campaign and we look forward to seeing you both again soon here ‘over the ditch’. Kim Dunda Latter
Photo: Stephen Mowbray Photography
Update from the NZ Team, 3rd April
This morning we are packing up the two trucks, gear and horses and heading to Jackson and Kate's new property close to Armidale where the team are based until Elysian Fields.
It will be another big day!
Team and Individual Results from EquiFest
So far Team NZ have competed in one team’s event at EquiFest and several individual competitions with excellent results. Here’s how the team went:
- They were narrowly beaten by the Aussie’s in the second round of the team’s event after being head to head from round one, However, Lily was 3rd and Sam Morrison were 4th equal individually
- Katie Laurie and Springfield won the 1.30m Open
- Lily Tootill was 2nd in the Grand Prix event
- Katie Laurie was 5th on Springfield and 6th with On the Point Sandy in the 1.35 championship
- Katie Laurie was 2nd on Eyecatcher in the Future Stakes 1.30m
- Lily Tootill was 3rd in the Sydney Open 1.40-1.60m event
Update from Equifest - Saturday 1st-2nd April from Jeff McVean - Team Coach and Chef d'Equipe
Yesterday Katie kept the Kiwi flag flying high getting 5th and 7th in the Mini Prix on Springfield and On the Point Sandy respectively.
Katie also snapped up an impressive second place with Eyecatcher in a futurity class this morning.
This afternoon all the team horses except for Kapattack are starting in the Grand Prix of Sydney.
Weather is now good and the ground is steadily drying out but it's still deep in places in the Premier ring.
Update from Equifest - Friday 31st March from Jeff McVean - Team Coach and Chef d'Equipe
Great start to the day today at Equifest. The sun is shining and Katie Laurie has just won the 1.35m on Springfield. The teams event starts in around two hours.
Update on Tash Brooks Kapattack - he has been seen by a vet this morning and we have blood results back that confirm he is suffering from travel sickness. Because of this he will not start again at this show.
Update from Equifest - 30th and 31st March from Jeff McVean - Team Coach and Chef d'Equipe
It was a very wet day in Sydney causing the ground to become quite bad. But despite the bad condition, the team's horses jumped well yesterday.
Here's how the team went at a glance
- A great start with Lily Tootill and Ulysses NZPH placing 3rd in the Young Rider Qualifyer
- Katie Laurie on On the Point Eve and Casebrooke Lomond each had 1 time fault in the 1.30 class
- Sam Morrison jumped well on Biarritz but unfortunately had the last fence down in 1.40
- Tash Brook's horse Kapattack is not 100% so they will not be will not be starting in the team test against Australia (Friday 31st). She will be replaced with reserve Bridget Hansen on Toulon NZPH.
- The plan is to send the best in this test and hope to get Kapattack happy and jumping well on better ground.
For more updates, visit the team's dedicated Facebook page here
Lily Tootill and Ulysses NZPH
- 30 March – 2nd April EquiFest, Hawkesbury Showground
- Sydney 21 – 30th April Elysian Fields (2 x shows back to back), Queensland
- Final show in Sydney - TBC.
NZ SENIOR JUMPING TEAM
- Katie Laurie - Casebrooke Lomond; and On The Point Eve
- Lily Tootill - Ulyssess NZPH
- Natasha Brooks - Kapattack
- Samantha Morrison - Biarritz
- First Reserve: Mathew Dickey - Quango
- Second Reserve : Bridget Hansen - Toulon NZPH
- Chef d’Equipe and Trainer: Jeff McVean
The NZ Team is supported by Mitvavite and Waikato Vet services